I did it, 7 months after getting the biggest promotion I “always” wanted I quit my 6 figure job for the unknown.
I know what you’re thinking — damn millennial trying to be a blogger and change the world.
It isn’t a safe bet — that I realize. It has a ton or risk…and a ton of potential.
And I don’t want to sound unappreciative, it was a great promotion. I did work my ass off for over five years to get to the highest sales position within the company.
It was (is) a ton of money for a 29-year-old but it still meant trading my time for money.
It also meant not pursuing my true passions; helping people change their lives and going all in on the dream of professional golf.
By continuing to work for someone else it meant not being on someone else schedule. It meant I wouldn’t be able to play golf on a Tuesday morning, read a whole book in the middle of the day, or hang out with my dog and work in my office.
It meant sitting at a desk for eight hours with a break for lunch. More pointless meetings, more time not working towards my goals, and more time “getting by” — sound familiar?
Obviously, this wasn’t just my job, this is most jobs. Some people are content working for someone else their whole life but not me. Here’s how I took action to make it happen:
Here’s how I took action to make it happen:
I had to break the cycle and take massive action to find happiness in my life.
This website is one of the reasons I quit my six figure job. When I started the site in January 2016 I had no idea it would change my life forever. Financially it hasn’t made much of an impact as I have made little effort to monetize the site. Instead, it has shown me what is possible with the internet.
I have found and connected with so many other bloggers, authors, and online entrepreneurs that have shown me it is possible to make money online. More importantly, they follow their passion AND help tons of people in the process.
Instead, it has shown me what is possible with the internet. I have found and connected with so many other bloggers, authors, and online entrepreneurs that have shown me it is possible to make money online. More importantly, they follow their passion AND help tons of people in the process.
Will it be easy? No. Will it be worth it for ultimate freedom forever? Absolutely.
For the past 18 months, I have been blogging and writing my book during the week outside of work. There were late nights and early mornings, but my energy sometimes reflected my work like this:
- Poorly written blog posts with spelling errors and no real long-term plan for Super Millennial.
- Decent fitness routine but not as in shape as I wanted or know I could be.
- Making great money but not actually helping people or doing what I was passionate about.
- Reaching only a fraction of my potential as a golfer unless I had more free time.
Why Did I Quit A Great Job for the Unknown?
Because if I didn’t quit now I was NEVER going to make the leap.
I would have ended up working a 40+ hours/week until I was ready to finally use my 401K at 59 ½. And probably hit by a bus at 60…
Don’t get me wrong I had a good job, most people would kill for it because of all the perks. Flexible hours, great pay, free insurance, occasional stock options & a casual work environment. But any job is still the worst trade off ever, time for money.
And I was okay with it for over six years, but as I’m approaching my 30th birthday I realize I wanted even more out of life.
I want wealth on my own terms.
As Ramit Sethi says “a rich life”, one where I live life on my own terms (hence my new subtitle of the blog). I want to be able to work on my schedule, be rewarded for how much I’m putting in, spend more time with family and have COMPLETE freedom in my life.
My biggest fear was looking back on my life with regrets.
I wanted to go after my dreams with no restrictions or rules on how I needed to do it.
If I didn’t take the chance on myself now I’m honestly not sure I ever would.
Are you currently in the same situation? Are you thinking of one or any of these thoughts in your current job?
- Tired of working on someone else’s dream.
- Unmotivated because of a ceiling on potential earnings.
- Bored by the day to day routine.
- Live for weekends.
- Dread Monday’s – The “Sunday Scares.”
- Feel like your time is spread too thin and don’t have a great work-life balance?
- Wanting more for yourself and your future?
“We weren’t put on this earth to just pay bills and die.”
How I Quit My Six-Figure Job
Did I just make the jump to become a digital nomad without really thinking and planning for it?
Not at all, there was a TON of planning.
When most people quit a job they go to work somewhere else. Being that I never want to work for someone else again I made sure to be prepared.
Here’s how I got started:
- Secured a low-cost mortgage. When I became a homeowner at 27 I knew I always wanted to have a low monthly mortgage on my first house. This is why I bought a smaller place than I was approved for. Even with a 20-year refinance I have a mortgage that most people pay for parking their car on a monthly basis in New York. My payment is $950; I pay 65% v. Ms. Super Millennial paying the other 35%…we can handle that.
- Researched insurance options. I understand that it will not be as easy, cheap, or as good of coverage as before. But is insurance really a reason to work for someone forever? I didn’t think so.
- Created a budget for my new life. I also saved enough for 12 months outside of my retirement accounts and emergency fund. (Side hustles helped – learn how to start one here)
- Prepared. I bought house supplies, stocked up on groceries like the apocalypse is coming, and figured out what my daily schedule will look like. Again I don’t want a ROUTINE, I want to be able to make changes as I go.
- Invested in myself. I’ve bought thousands of dollars in courses, books, videos, seminars over the past year. Over $5,000 in the past 15 months and can say it has been the best investment ever.
What Will I Do With My New Found Freedom?
Once I put in my notice I had all kinds of support from family and friends. Some were curious, others supportive and others seemed to think I was just going to sit around for the rest of my life. Instead, I finally have the time try everything I’ve ever wanted but never had the time.
How I Will Spend My Time
- Freelance Writing: Will I earn as much as my past job? No, not initially. But I’m ok with it, that’s why I saved a ton. I know that any new skill will take time to learn. I would rather make less temporarily to do it for the greater vision I have for my life. I’m finally playing the long game instead of the short-term one. 9/21 Update — I now have my own freelance site: www.michaelleonard.net
- Volunteer: I plan on going to the animal shelter two to three times per week. One of my long-term goals is to open my own charity and want to learn what it takes to be successful. Plus, I love dogs.
- Books: Last month I recently published my first, “Advice for My Younger Self.” I want to promote the book more on other blogs, podcasts, and help people get closer to their goals. I also plan to write another 5-10, shorter Kindle e-books by the end of 2017.
- Websites: I am currently creating a second website for golf and hope to have it launched within the next 30 days.
- Scottsdale Event Planning Biz: This will be a long-term plan but I’ve found success planning any event for friends and family over the years. Whether it’s a party bus to horse racing, a tour bus to a golf tournament, or Vegas bachelor parties. Why not help people plan a great time for events and parties?
- Professional Golf: Yes, it’s going to happen in the future. I needed the time back from work to really put in the amount of practice time required.
- Side Hustles: There are so many side hustle ideas I’ve wanted to try but never had enough time when working, blogging, writing, and golfing. Now is the time to experiment and document for readers 🙂 9/21 Update: 40 Ways to Make $$ Outside of 9-5
- Random Stuff: I left my job to break the “routine.” I want to have a plan for each day but if something comes up that I’d rather do then I’ll make it happen.
My income streams will vary. Some will be short-term vs. long-term. Some will succeed, some will fail.
But it’s only a failure if you don’t learn from your mistakes. As much as I’d like this site to be profitable instantly I’d like to make sure I’m not sacrificing the content for a quick buck.
As much as I’d like this site to be profitable instantly I’d like to make sure I’m not sacrificing the content for a quick buck.
This site is to help people more than anything. The world tells us we are supposed to go to college, climb the ladder, retire, and die.
I disagree — my mission to help people find what they love to do, make money and live life on their terms.
Entrepreneurship is in My Blood
My Dad has successfully run his own business from the ground up for over 40 years. He has done it without any knowledge of the internet (seriously, he just got an iPhone last year). The random emojis he sends are priceless! So I knew I could do it and know it is possible.
People will doubt, people will think I’m crazy, people will think I’m going to fail. And that’s ok, everyone can have their own opinion.
But I’ve created a plan and won’t stop until it’s complete. Let me be your guinea pig when it comes to quitting your job and becoming an online entrepreneur.
Follow my journey and I’ll help you make the life you’ve always wanted. A life that is full of fun, money, and most importantly freedom.
I’ll finish with a quote that has guided my past year and helped me make the decision. It is from Steve Jobs commencement speech at Stanford. If you haven’t seen it, please watch here.
Here’s to finding my dream and yours too…
Think I’m crazy for quitting a high-paying job at 29? Ready to quit your job? Let me know in the comments!
Get My FREE Success Cheat Sheet
After studying successful people extensively with books, videos, and seminars I've found their habits are what separates them. Check my FREE Success cheatsheet to start implementing these habits into your daily life.
Latest posts by Michael Leonard (see all)
- 6 Inspirational Entrepreneurs To Transform Your Life From Good to Great - April 19, 2018
- What Is Freelance Writing? How to Get Started in 5 Easy Steps - April 17, 2018
- A Goal Setting Worksheet That Will Change Your Life - April 12, 2018