Welcome to my fourth income report!
I will be posting a monthly income report to make sure I am staying accountable and help inspire others.
In May of 2017, I decided to quit my six-figure job to give myself no other option but succeed as a solopreneur, blogger, writer, and author.
I knew this was my passion and I had to go 100% towards it.
I had ZERO formal education on making money online. I’ve simply dedicated a lot of time to learn and understand it.
If you’re thinking of starting a blog, I highly recommend it. There is an audience for almost anything and with hard work, you can do it too.
Check out my FREE blog tutorial on how to get started in under 10 minutes. Bluehost will also add in your domain name for free which is usually $15 per year.
Why Publish A Monthly Income Report?
There are two main reasons for publishing my monthly income; motivation and accountability.
Prior to 2016 I never knew people made an incredible amount of money from blogging, freelancing, writing and selling courses online.
I still remember reading bloggers monthly income reports and having two feelings. Excitement and motivation, they showed me it was possible.
I couldn’t believe people were working at home, helping others, and making money online. It also made realize that anyone can do it with a lot of hard work.
Related Read: 5 Bloggers Making Six Figures a MONTH online
Whether it’s personal finance, photography, writing, fitness, or knitting there is a probably a blog about it. Of course, you have to put in the work. Money won’t magically appear out of thin air.
Here is my income report from my fourth month of making money online with blogging, freelancing, and not going to “work”:
Monthly Income Report (September 2017)
- Google Adsense: $263.17 – I’m excited to get more ad $$$ to go along with my huge increase in traffic. It’s “close” to passive income!
- Amazon (Books through Createspace & Kindle Direct Publishing)
- Bluehost: $65 – Ready to start a blog? Learn more with my easy to use, step by step tutorial. You’ll get a FREE domain ($15 value) by signing up HERE!
- Amazon: $7.12
- ConvertKit: $0.00 – #1 Recommendation for bloggers looking for an email marketing provider.
- Tailwind: $0.00 – This is a great tool for all bloggers! For less than $100
If you are a blogger and want to figure out how to make affiliate income, you need to take the Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing Course. This is THE most comprehensive affiliate course out there.
I just finished the course and can’t believe how much useful information there is. The creator of the course made almost a $1,000,000 last year from her blog.
- Golf: $400 – A great birdie at a tournament in Palm Springs paid well.
- Side Hustles
- Craigslist: $120 (Selling and flipping things like TV’s, golf clubs, home decor, etc)
- Dog Walking – $190. Check out sites like Wag & Rover to learn how to get paid walking and watching dogs.
- Blog Coaching – $0 — Just launched — click here to learn more about how I can help newbie bloggers!
Total Income: $1,736
- Shopify – So many ideas I can’t wait to start on Shopify.
- New Affiliate & ad partners
- Freelance writing
- Google Apps: $5 – This is to create my blog email address: [email protected]
- Virtual Assistants: $0 – None this month.
- Teachable: $0 – This is to host my class: “How to Get Started Blogging.” You can enroll in my free course to launch your blog! I signed up for the free plan. As I scale my online courses I will switch to the $29 or $99 per month plans.
- ConvertKit: $29 – This has been a great way to gain subscribers and give my site a very professional design. They make it easy to manage subscribers, create automated emails, increase blog engagement, and is very easy to use.
- Tailwind: $0 (Annual basis) – After taking Kristen Larsen’s, Pinterest Presence Course I signed up for Tailwind. Her course was amazing and I have already seen a ton of growth since I’ve implemented all of her Pinterest strategies. To enroll in her course take a look at the options HERE.
- Bluehost: $0 – I paid for three years worth of hosting so no need to worry about Bluehost on a monthly basis.
- Website: $450 – My website did get some major updates this month and I am super excited at how great it looks 🙂
- Website: $42 – Making my site show “secure.”
Total Expenses: $521
It’s important to note that these figures are not including tax (usually 30%) or monthly insurance premiums. My goal is to create enough side hustles to pay for each bill and make six figures a MONTH (gotta have big goals).
There were a TON of wins for the month of September.
- Travel! I would have loved to have earned more but I was so busy traveling that I barely kept up with my freelancing and blogging. But I got to visit Boston (bucket list) and attend a new seminar in long beach. These are part of my 3o goals for my 30th birthday.
- People love reading – It’s been amazing to see so many new comments, views, & subscribers! I’ve joined a lot of Facebook groups and it’s been great to meet new bloggers in different niches. The cool thing about blogging is that most bloggers are super helpful and want other bloggers to succeed as well.
- Freelance Website – Finally got a plan for my freelance writing. I was relying 100% on Upwork and realized how dumb it was — instead, I now have my own website and apply on job boards. My site is michaelleonard.net — most proud that I designed it in a few hours.
- New E-Book – 2017 has seen a lot of growth for the blog and I detailed all in my Success Blogging 101 E-book. Check out how I was able to grow my blog 1,100% in 2017 and am at roughly 15,000 page views per month and growing!
- Got consistent freelance writing gigs on topics I love 🙂 I’m writing for Knowledge for Men, ghostwriting for a golf site, and got hired to write a golf e-book!
- Kept training for my triathlon in October — hint: I completed it last Saturday! It’s one of my 30 goals for my 30th birthday.
Overall I am super happy with September. Of course, I still want to earn 10X a month or more I have been learning, traveling, and narrowing down what I want to focus on for the rest of 2017 and beyond. Yesterday was my 5th month of NOT being at a 9-5 so I can’t think of any real “losses.”
I’m fortunate that now I love what I do every single day and continue to follow my passions.
September 2017 Income Report: My Thoughts
September was great — I got to meet two of my idols Tom Bilyeu & Mel Robbins at the Success Live Seminar. They were both in my top six most inspirational people to follow online, it was an amazing opportunity. On top of meeting them, the other speakers were phenomenal and life-changing.
I knew quitting a six-figure job to make money online would be hard work without immediate results. That is why I saved up over 12 months of expenses in a separate savings account. This month I’ll have to cover some expenses out of my designated savings, no problem.
I’ve set myself up for success by having low overhead costs. My biggest expenditures are my mortgage ($700) and health insurance ($400). Otherwise, I have been keeping costs low and loving life as a solopreneur.
“Nobody said it would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”
What other ways should I try making money online for my next income report?
Any recommendations or thoughts on this income report let me know in the comments!
How to Start a Morning Routine and Change Your Life
Latest posts by Michael Leonard (see all)
- How to Find Fulfillment and Build a 6-Figure Blog: Natalie Bacon Interview - March 14, 2019
- How Freelancing Can Help You Ditch Your 9-5 - March 8, 2019
- How to Make a $1,000,000+ As a Full-Time Blogger - February 22, 2019