Welcome to my October income report!
I will be posting a monthly income report to make sure I am staying accountable and help inspire others.
In May of 2017, I decided to quit my six-figure job to give myself no other option but succeed as a blogger, writer, and author.
I knew this was my passion and I had to go 100% towards it.
I also wanted to go after another true passion — professional golf. It’s incredibly competitive and knew I needed more time to spend practicing and a typical 9-5 cubicle wasn’t going to allow the flexibility I needed.
Have you had similar thoughts?
I had ZERO formal education on making money online. I’ve simply dedicated a lot of time to learn and understand it.
If you’re thinking of starting a blog, I highly recommend it. There is an audience for almost anything and with hard work, you can do it too.
Check out my FREE blog tutorial on how to get started in under 10 minutes. Bluehost will also add in your domain name for free which is usually $15 per year.
Why Publish A Monthly Income Report?
There are two main reasons for publishing my monthly income; motivation and accountability.
Prior to 2016 I never knew people made an incredible amount of money from blogging, freelancing, writing and selling courses online.
I still remember reading bloggers monthly income reports and having two feelings. Excitement and motivation, they showed me it was possible.
I couldn’t believe people were working at home, helping others, and making money online. It also made realize that anyone can do it with a lot of hard work.
Related Read: 5 Bloggers Making Six Figures a MONTH online
Whether it’s personal finance, photography, writing, fitness, or knitting there is a probably a blog about it. Of course, you have to put in the work. Money won’t magically appear out of thin air.
Here is my income report from my fifth month of making money online with blogging, freelancing, and not going to “work”:
Monthly Income Report (October 2017)
- Google Adsense: $431.62 – I’m excited to earn more ad revenue to go along with my huge increase in traffic. It’s “close” to passive income! Once I reach 25,000 monthly users I plan to switch to Mediavine and 100,000 page views I will switch to Adthrive #goals.
- Amazon (Books through Createspace & Kindle Direct Publishing)
- Bluehost: $0 – Ready to start a blog? Learn more with my easy to use, step by step tutorial. You’ll get a FREE domain ($15 value) by signing up HERE!
- Amazon: $0 🙁
- ConvertKit: $0.00 – #1 Recommendation for bloggers looking for an email marketing provider.
- Tailwind: $0.00 – This is a great tool for all bloggers! For less than $100
If you are a blogger and want to figure out how to make affiliate income, you need to take the Making Sense of Affiliate Marketing Course. This is THE most comprehensive affiliate course out there. The creator of the course made almost a $1,000,000 last year from her blog.
- Upwork: $234 — I’m not a huge fan of Upwork but still spend some time each month applying for jobs I might be a good fit for. This month I finished a golf ebook and found a new client for personal finance articles.
- Freelancing: $600 — Knowledge for Men is a site I write for consistently and love the topics. –>Take a look at some of my work here.
- Hire Me – Just launched this page on my site for freelance writing.
- Stocks: $650 – Sold some stocks from my past job that are finally over the one year mark so I was able to sell for long-term gains.
- Golf: $0 – No tournaments last month — “offseason.”
- Side Hustles
- Craigslist: $120 (Selling and flipping things like TV’s, golf clubs, home decor, etc)
- Dog Walking – $190. Check out sites like Wag & Rover to learn how to get paid walking and watching dogs.
Total Income: $2,256
- Flea market flipping
- Shopify – So many ideas I can’t wait to start on Shopify.
- New freelance writing clients
- New niche website
- Google Apps: $5
- Virtual Assistants: $0
- Teachable: $0 – This is to host my class: “How to Get Started Blogging.” You can enroll in my free course to launch your blog! I signed up for the free plan. As I scale my online courses I will switch to the $29 or $99 per month plans.
- ConvertKit: $29 – This has been a great way to gain subscribers and make professional email opt-in forms. They make it easy to manage subscribers, create automated emails, increase blog engagement, and is very easy to use.
- Tailwind: $0 (Annual basis) – After taking Kristen Larsen’s, Pinterest Presence Course I signed up for Tailwind. Her course was amazing and I have already seen a ton of growth since I’ve implemented all of her Pinterest strategies. To enroll in her course take a look at the options HERE.
- Bluehost: $0 – I paid for three years worth of hosting so no need to worry about Bluehost on a monthly basis.
- Website: $0 – No website work this month.
Total Expenses: $34
It’s important to note that these figures are not including tax (usually 30%) or monthly insurance premiums. My goal is to create enough side hustles to pay for each bill and eventually make six figures a MONTH (gotta have big goals).
Past Income Reports
- June Income Report – $2,035
- July Income Report – $1,001
- August Income Report – $1,686
- September Income Report – $1,736
There were a TON of wins for the month of October.
Completed my 1st Triathlon
As someone who is terrible at swimming, not a great runner and only bikes to happy hour…this was a big win. Not saying I broke any records but I finished it and did 30 pushups at the finish line to cap it off.
I attended my first Toastmasters and will continue to go and become a better public speaker.
Publishing written content on the blog is intimidating at first…what if you look or sound stupid? In 18 months I don’t think I’ve had any negative comments, people are much more supportive than you might think. I decided to start publishing video content as well to try and attract new readers and share helpful videos.
Be sure to subscribe to my Youtube channel for even more great content.
Seminars & Travel
I got to attend two awesome seminars in October. Check out the reviews & learnings of both seminars here:
More Super Millennial Fans
October was my highest month of site traffic ever, exciting to see more comments and people reading every day I appreciate you!
2017 has seen a lot of growth for the blog and I detailed all in my Success Blogging 101 E-book. Check out how I was able to grow my blog 1,100% in 2017 and am at roughly 15,000 page views per month and growing!
Overall I am super happy with October, I did a ton and learned a ton. Of course, I still want to earn 10X a month or more I have been learning, traveling, and narrowing down what I want to focus on for the rest of 2017 and beyond.
I’m fortunate that now I love what I do every single day and continue to follow my passions.
Income Report (October 2017): My Thoughts
October was a great month — I got to meet two of my idols Jack Canfield & a ton of bloggers at FINCON.
I knew quitting a six-figure job to make money online would be hard work without immediate results.
That is why I saved up over 12 months of expenses in a separate savings account from my 401K/Roth/emergency fund.
I’ve set myself up for success by having low overhead costs. My biggest expenditures are my mortgage ($700) and health insurance ($400). Otherwise, I have been keeping costs low and loving the challenge of creating an online business.
As Lewis Howes said, ” Greatness is really the survival of your vision across an extended timeline, based on your willingness to do whatever it takes in the face of adversity.”
What other ways should I try making money online for my next income report?
Any recommendations or thoughts on this income report let me know in the comments!
How to Start a Blog: Free 7 Day Email Course
I'll show you how to set up your blog, create an email list, promote on social media, and get tons of readers!
Latest posts by Michael Leonard (see all)
- 6 Inspirational Entrepreneurs To Transform Your Life From Good to Great - April 19, 2018
- What Is Freelance Writing? How to Get Started in 5 Easy Steps - April 17, 2018
- A Goal Setting Worksheet That Will Change Your Life - April 12, 2018