- Pay off debt
- Take care of family
- Invest in your future
- Contribute to causes you believe in
- Travel and experience more of the world
Table of Contents
How to Make Money Online For Beginners: 35+ Legit Ways
1. Become a Freelance WriterIn my three years of learning how to make money online, nothing has helped me more than freelance writing. As a freelance writer, I’ve been able to make a full-time income on part-time hours. Plus, freelance writing allows you to:
- Work remotely
- Scale your income
- Write about topics you love
- Work as little or as much as you want
- Make money fast (compared to blogging)
2. Write & Sell Books and E-booksI’ve now published three books using Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing. One book, Advice For My Younger Self, is also available in hard copy format from Createspace. These books aren’t crazy long or require years of hard work. By creating short, how-to guides or manuals, you can create these relatively quickly and earn royalties for the rest of your life. Check out my post on 10 steps to creating your first e-book to learn more.
3. Start a BlogPeople make a ton of money online and most of them usually started with a blog. I started publishing income reports this year to show people how I make money blogging. If you want to set your future self up to potentially make money outside of your job at an enormous scale I recommend a blog. This is not a short-term game like some of the other hustles listed but 100X more potential than most. There are some bloggers that make over $100,000 per month!
Check out these five ways to make money outside of your job blogging:
Affiliate MarketingI make a few hundred dollars each month through affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is when an online retailer will pay you a commission for traffic or sales leads from its referrals. It’s not as simple as slapping some pictures or links and seeing the money roll in. You need to refer readers to quality products that you believe in. If you are a blogger I recommend learning more about making money from your blog from Michelle Schroder of Making Sense of Cents. Her blog routinely makes six figures per month with a majority of income from affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing is great because, for the most part, it is passive income once you get everything set up.
Paid PostsWhen you have a blog you can offer paid posts or product reviews for products you believe in. These can range in price but I’ve seen anywhere from $50 – $200 per post. The best part? You don’t have to write it.
AdvertisingYou can also post advertising on your site with a ton of different platforms like Google Adsense, Media.net, or Ad Thrive. The more views you get to your blog, the more advertising revenue you can earn every month.
Brand SponsorshipsOnce you create a successful blog, companies will reach out to partner with you and promote their product or website on your blog. This can be big money!
Create an Ebook or Online Course for Your BlogOne of the best ways to make money and help people with your blog is to create online products. Whether you create an ebook or full-on video course there are tons of options. I’ve created “Win the Morning” to help people learn how to start a morning routine, wake up on time, and start each day focused. The only reason I created it was because I once struggled with all of these so I fixed it and wanted to help people. If you’re a blogger and don’t have products you’re missing out on tons of potential revenue. Not only are you not making money from your site, but you’re not giving people who have faced similar problems the easiest solution.
4. Create a Youtube ChannelWhen you create a Youtube channel, you also have the ability to make money outside of your job with unlimited potential. Here two popular ways:
Advertising on YoutubeSimilar to a blog, you can have Google Adsense on your Youtube Channel. The money won’t be much until you have a ton of traffic but still easy money.
Product Placement & EndorsementsYou will sometimes see Youtube stars promoting products online as long as you disclose this to viewers.
5. Join UpworkI began using Upwork to start my freelance writing career. There is a ton of different options other than freelance writing as well. You can sell your skills like website design, setting up social media, sales, email writing, and so much more. Upwork does take 20% but they do connect you with a ton of potential clients. Overall, it’s a great place to get started, build your portfolio, and land your first clients.
6. Get Paid to Watch VideosSwagbucks has a feature where you can watch online videos to earn money from your house. If you sign up you will also get $5 credit, get started now.
7. Set Up WebsitesIf you already use WordPress and know about installing themes you can charge well over $100 to set up for small businesses. The entire setup won’t take you more than 15-30 minutes using Bluehost to set up and install WordPress.
8. Become a Virtual AssistantVirtual assistants are growing each year with more people needing help managing their business or website. Make sure to know what your niche is and start making money from your house!
9. Walk Dogs or Pet SitWho doesn’t love dogs? It’s never been easier to use your love of animals to make money outside of your job. Check out these sites to get started dog walking or pet sitting:
10. Be a Tasker with Task RabbitTaskRabbit is a site that connects you to people to help them get with a specific task. Do you like putting together furniture from Ikea? Well, I’m not sure anyone “likes it” but some people are much better than others. It’s not just furniture installation there are tons of “tasks” available:
- Help Moving
- Mounting TV’s
- Grocery Shopping
- Furniture Assembly
- Virtual tasks such as calendar organizing, event planning or setting appointments.
11. Grocery Shop For PeopleInstacart is a way to grocery shop for people and get paid to do it. I personally love grocery shopping, some people hate it so this is easy money. You can apply to be a shopper, a delivery driver, or both.
12. Test WebsitesI recently signed up for a few website testing services and can say it is super easy. All you do is test websites as your screen is recorded and talk into your microphone. Check out these three sites to get started now:
- Usertesting.com – $10 per test.
- Whatusersdo.com – $8 via Paypal for each test.
- UserTest – $10.50 per test.