Are you finally ready to start making money as a writer but don’t know which freelance writing courses are worth your money?
First off, congrats to you for several reasons…
If you’re the type of person who is constantly learning, you will succeed in life. Second, freelance writing is the easiest way to begin making money online.
Freelance writing is a great way to make money from your life laptop and ditch that 9-5 forever.
Seriously, writing has changed my life.
I know it’s a skill that I can always depend on to generate income without working at meaningless jobs.
Finally, if you’re searching the web for these types of courses, you’re clearly looking to learn and invest in yourself. And that’s awesome because as Warren Buffett said, “Investing in yourself is the best investment you can make.”
This is also how I found quick success in my own career. During my first year of writing, I took five different courses because I wanted to speed up business growth.
I didn’t want to try and figure it out on my own. In today’s world, you don’t need a school or a certificate to learn writing skills.
Here are the ones I’ve taken and some other popular ones that can help you launch your freelance writing business.
10 Best Online Freelance Writing Courses
I’m a big fan of the Tony Robbins quote, “Success leaves clues.” If you want to start anything new, whether it’s making money as a writer or getting in the best shape of your life, someone else has already done it.
So why not learn from successful entrepreneurs to learn new skills faster. I’m confident these writing courses can help you begin making money as a writer.
1. Freelance to 5K
As I mentioned in the intro, I took a lot of courses when I first started my writing business. I needed to make it work as I had already quit my day job and needed to get clients fast.
Taking several of the courses below, plus joining an online mastermind, helped me make consistent income as a writer.
Within 12 months, I was able to 10X my income in only 12 months.
By my 20th month as a part-time writer, I made $20,050 in one single month. This was writing content and only working with 3-5 clients.
The reason I share all of this because a few short years ago I was a broke blogger who was struggling. In a short amount of time, I was able to turn it all around.
Now, I’m easily making a full-time income from my laptop working part-time.
My goal is to help you get similar results.
I’ve taken a lot of the courses below and I created something even better.
While each course has a ton of awesome lessons, each one had something that was missing. Some didn’t cover the mindset, others only delivered the content in written format and others left out vital steps.
But I want to help you succeed and crush it as a freelance writer so I created Freelance to 5K. I’ve combined everything I’ve learned from my own experiences, online masterminds, and coaching to make it a complete school for freelance writers.
This is a step-by-step guide to help you learn how to be a freelance writer! I make it my life goal to teach everything I know.
What’s Included in the Content Writer Course
This is a step-by-step course to help you launch your own writing business using my “Confident Writer Framework.”
This is my 3-part system that is designed to help you get RESULTS fast.
We’ll cover everything from creating a personal website, building a portfolio, mastering social media, pitching clients, negotiating rates, and how to scale your writing empire.
After the first lesson, you will learn how much I love this stuff and know I can help you in a few short months.
Freelance to 5K is designed to help you become a CONFIDENT, SUCCESSFUL FREELANCE WRITER.
In this 6 module, 50+ video writing course, you will learn:
- Learn how to set & achieve your writing goals
- Discover how to earn recurring income from bloggers
- How to pick a profitable and fun freelance writing niche
- Learn how to get over your fear of cold emailing clients
- Discover why you need to develop an entrepreneur mindset
- Figure out how to actually land gigs from crowded job boards
- Discover how a personal brand can make you a wealthy writer
- Learn how to build a writing website that attracts your ideal clients
- Learn where to find your first client even if you don’t have experience
- Hear how I invoice clients and make sure I always get paid promptly
- Figure out how to easily ask for referrals and leverage existing clients for more writing jobs
Doors open a few times per year, click here to join the waitlist.
Or, click here to go through my FREE training, “3 Easy Ways to Land Freelance Writing Clients.”
This FREE training will also give you limited tim access to join us inside Freelance to 5K.
2. Earn More Writing
Earn More Writing is one of the five courses I took when I started my freelance writing career. I was adamant about speeding up my own success to start landing clients and getting paid. Earn More Writing was created by Holly Johnson of Club Thrifty.
I met Holly in one of the classes at a financial blogging event (FINCON) and was impressed with her results. She launched her writing career years ago as a newbie and now earns over $200,000+ each year.
Her course is very easy to follow and loaded with videos, worksheets, and tips to crush it as a content writer. If you’re interested in content writing, this is a great course. She provides details about:
- How to launch a blog and build your brand
- Setting up your personal writer website as a newbie
- How to land your first client even if you have no experience
- Defending your work day and making time for your business and life
- How to invoice clients and make sure you always get paid every time
- How to send cold pitches, price your services, negotiate raises, and land big gigs
This 8-module video course can help you go from newbie to expert in freelance writing. I used a lot of what I learned here to launch my freelance writing career and am very grateful for it. Plus, Holly shares even more tips to crush it as a writer in her Facebook group.
3. Write Your Way To Your First 1K
Elna Cain’s Write Your Way to Your 1K is another super effective online writing course. She is a blogger and full-time professional writer who crushes it online. I love her content as she talks a ton about creating the mindset and belief system to make it as a writer.
It’s very similar to Earn More Writing and shares a ton of similarities. One downside to this course is it’s a text-only and there isn’t any video content. But needless to say it still gives you everything you need to make big money as a writer.
Here’s what’s included with the professional course:
- Personalized pitch review, from Elna herself
- More than 50 lessons, video training, templates, e-books
- Facebook Live training sessions to stay educated as a writer
- Exclusive Facebook group of 1,000+ students with a supportive community of like-minded writers
This is a self-paced learning course that will set you up to earn your first $1,000 and more as a freelance writer. She’ll help you schedule your day, improve your writing skills, and answer tons of questions.
4. Creative Freelancing Freedom
Creative Freelancing Freedom is a writing class from Lizzie Davey and is another top pick to help you “make it” as a freelance writer. And it’s not just freelance writing, it’s actually geared toward making it as a freelancer outside your 9-5.
Lizzie makes you feel as though she is speaking directly to you as a writer, and this course is a great place to build a solid foundation.
This course gets down to specifics and includes:
- How to name your business and defining your ideal clients
- A marketing blueprint and a month-by-month plan for growth
- The art of creating consistent branding and standing out online
- The Legalities of freelancing and setting yourself up for success
This course is $247 and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. It is a small price to pay for lifetime access to this awesome course.
Reviews are nothing but positive and it’s a great combination of video and written content for all learning styles.
5. Travel Writing
Who doesn’t want to travel the world and make money halfway around the world as a digital nomad? Travel Writing will help you do just that.
This course has a unique twist as it as three experienced travel writers to guide you through every step of the process. It breaks down everything you need to crush it as a writer and learn the ropes of traveling the world.
Here’s what’s included:
- Get the insider’s list of what not to do and keep editors happy
- Learn where to find the publications that make the most sense for your story, what to put in your letter to the editor, and when to send your article
- How to choose the right words, how to write powerful sentences, and how to draw your piece to a close
- Discover how to take one research trip and come home with three articles and three times the income
- Learn how to take advantage of the “perks” that go with travel writing like free vacations, free meals at the world’s best restaurants, and access to behind-the-scenes locations
If you’re a writer who enjoys location-independence, this is a great strategy. It has plenty of lessons and tools to help you reach your goals.
At $319 (with 15% off for paying the full fee, or the choice of eight monthly installments), this course is the best on the market if you’re keen to break into the travel sector.
6. Ready…Set…Start Freelancing!
Let’s get real, fear holds so many writers back from ever making the leap to freelance full time. But Ieva Lacaine has you covered. She is a graphic designer, digital marketer, and digital nomad.
She’s has created a comprehensive online freelancing course to show you how you can leave the corporate world behind. She will give you the tools to turn your passions into a real business.
Ready…Set…Start Freelancing! is a course that covers everything from building a business plan to branding yourself as a freelancer, to marketing yourself and getting clients. And as a graphic designer, the content is nothing but fantastic.
It’s a great combination of PDF’s and Plus, you’ll have lifetime access to all of the resources included in the program so that you can effectively build your business at your own pace.
The price is $240 which is a very minimal investment to make in your freelancing business to learn how to take control of your days. And if the price feels a bit much for you right, there are also payment options to help you get started.
Plus, if you’re not fully satisfied with the course, there’s a 10-day full money-back guarantee!
7. Gotham Writers Course
Gotham Writers Courses is an awesome course to help with more than just content writing. It includes scriptwriting, food blogging, grammar tutorials, travel writing, and much more.
This is a little bit of a spin on the traditional courses as they are in person (if you’re in NY) and some are online as well. They vary from one-day classes to 10-week experiences. Prices for these courses vary, depending on the class you choose. Some courses start at $150 and others can be upwards of $500.
A huge perk of Gotham’s courses is that you can also pay extra for one-on-one training, coaching and mentoring. If you’re trying to specialize in different types of writing, this might just what you need to get started. Think of it as a school for freelance writers in all different niches.
8. Blogging 101
While freelance writing is great, you’re always working on someone else’s business instead of your own. If you want to make more income and grow your brand, starting a blog is a great way to get started.
Blogging 101 will teach you how to build the foundations of the complicated and sometimes overwhelming blogging world. This course teaches you how to build one from scratch with a strong emphasis on the marketing aspect.
What I love about the course is that it includes topics such as SEO, keyword research, and formatting. You can skip all the common beginner blogger mistakes that nearly everyone makes.
The four modules also include:
- Identifying your audience
- Learn how to prioritize your time
- Establish specific goals for your blog
- Create a month-long editorial calendar
- Understand what makes a good article
- Learn the basics of search engine optimization
- How to integrate your website with other marketing and social media
- Learn how to brainstorm topics and research what your audience wants to read
- How to interact with and partner with other bloggers, including your “competition”
- Decide on the types of content you want to provide and create a content schedule
Plus, you can think of your website as a living portfolio as clients will often Google you and find your content online. For $250, you can take a leap towards launching an online presence for yourself and getting noticed online by the right individuals.
Blogcademy Online is another great option to launch your blog and writer career. Think of this is as blogging for beginners and intermediate writers. The three creators of this course have a collective 30+ years of experience in the blogging world. It is organized into easily watchable lessons with tons of value.
Here’s what you’ll learn in the course:
- The importance of great imagery
- Tips for optimizing your search traffic
- Starting a blogging business plan for business
- Identifying your ideal reader and finding your avatar
- How to create the perfect about page to and share your story
- How to define your blog’s purpose and create the right type of content
- Understanding how to use social media and grow your following on all platforms
And so much more!
Quick disclaimer, it is aimed more at the ladies, but guys, if you’re okay with being called a babe here and there, there’s a ton of great stuff. Everything you need to turn your ideas into a profitable online business.
10. Create and Go
The last course I recommend is through Alex and Lauren of Create and Go. They are two of the most successful bloggers in the space and regularly make $100,000+ PER month.
If you think blogging is more your style than freelance writing, I highly recommend checking out their offers as they do a job making learning about blogging fun. They can teach you start a blog, grow your brand, and monetize your site.
They do a great job marketing their content and promoting a fun experience for their students. Follow them on Youtube for complete and free videos on blogging.
The great thing with the internet is that there are new opportunities to make money as a writer constantly popping up. And Medium.com is one of the most recent ways.
With Medium, you can publish your content and grow your brand, not a client. You can make money a few different ways on the platform.
Here are some of the most common ways to make money on Medium:
- Online E-Courses
- Selling Coaching Sessions
- Paid Posts (w/Medium Partner Program)
11. Wealthy Writers Medium Course
Anthony Moore created an awesome course about making money on Medium with “Wealthy Writers” and is a two-time guest to Inspire Your Success podcast. Anthony is a top-writer on Medium in the self-improvement space and published author of “What Extraordinary People Know.”
Thanks to his consistent work on the platform, he’s been able to grow his email list to over 20K in a very short time. Plus, he is a full-time writer thanks to his Medium presence and online course sales.
In the course, he will teach you
- How to develop your unique voice
- How to write killer content on Medium
- Making an irresistible opt-in to scale your list
- Understanding paid Medium Partnership works
- What it takes to grow your audience and email list
- How to write killer headlines that make readers click
- Access to his Premium Behavioral Change course (Free)
- How to create online courses and 1:1 coaching packages
Plus, you get weekly group calls, bonus PDFs and discounted coaching if you want to work more with Anthony.
12. Medium Mastery 2.0
Medium Mastery 2.0 was created by Tom Kuegler who is another top-rated writer on Medium. He has over 20,000 followers on Medium and is committed to helping other writers crush it online.
Here’s what you’ll learn in this course:
- The biggest headline mistakes
- How to write for huge publications
- The importance of email marketing
- Creating an email opt-in to build your list
- The art of republishing and writing epic content
- How to grow your following from 0 to $500 per month
Hopefully, you have a much better understanding of some of the options and tools to quickly grow your freelance writing business.
The final piece of advice is to take action. So many writers think about start but never actually make the investment.
Quit thinking of these courses as a cost and instead, think of them as an investment in yourself and your business!
By landing one or two clients, you can easily pay off the course price tag and learn a skill to make money for life! Don’t wait for a second longer to begin your writing journey. Pick a course that resonates with you and take action on your dreams.
Join my 100% FREE Webinar to learn more about 3 Easy Ways to Land Your First Freelance Writing Clients!